Thursday, February 5, 2015

Psychological Affects of Suffering

When Alma the Younger and the sons of Mosiah were out trying to destroy the church that then existed among the Nephites, an angel appeared to them and told them to stop. After that experience, they all changed their lives and chose to be disciples of Christ. The prophet Mormon made these comments about how their formerly sinful lives and experience with an angel changed them:

3) Now they were desirous that salvation should be declared to every creature, for they could not bear that any human soul should perish; yea, even the very thoughts that any soul should endure endless torment did cause them to quake and tremble.
4) And thus did the Spirit of the Lord work upon them, for they were the very vilest of sinners. And the Lord saw fit in his infinite mercy to spare them… (Mosiah 28:3-4)

They had experienced some portion of “endless torment”. The Lord worked on them through his spirit, giving them thoughts of how others might also suffer such torment. They could not stand those thoughts and were thus motivated to teach people the gospel and help them convert to the Lord so that they would not have to suffer. I believe that this is a type of Christ’s suffering. He suffered endless torment and came away from that experience not wanting anyone else to have to suffer like he did. He ministers to us in various ways so that we may avoid such suffering. Christ seems quite adamant about us avoiding the same endless torment that he experienced by repenting and living the gospel:

15) Therefore I command you to repent—repent, lest I smite you by the rod of my mouth, and by my wrath, and by my anger, and your sufferings be sore—how sore you know not, how exquisite you know not, yea, how hard to bear you know not.
16) For behold, I, God, have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent;
17) But if they would not repent they must suffer even as I; (D&C 19:15-17)

In Alma the Younger’s case, he experienced not only the bitterest of suffering, but also the sweetest of joy. For him, the thought of others receiving joy was at least as motivating for him to preach salvation as the thought of helping others avoid suffering:

21) Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy.
24) Yea, and from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. (Alma 36:21, 24)

In a revelation to Joseph Smith, Christ explained that he is motivated not only by helping people avoid suffering but also to bring them joy:

10) Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;
11) For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him.
12) And he hath risen again from the dead, that he might bring all men unto him, on conditions of repentance.
13) And how great is his joy in the soul that repenteth! (D&C 18:10-13)

The joy that Christ feels when a soul repents is not Christ’s joy alone, but it is the joy that is in that soul. It is joy that they share together.

No comments:

Post a Comment