Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Alma the Younger’s Suffering as a Type of Christ's Suffering During the Atonement

From John Taylor’s statement, “through that atonement and the power of the Priesthood associated therewith”, we learn that the blood and atoning sacrifice of Christ provides power to the priesthood. Alma the Younger understood the connection between the atoning blood of Christ and holding the priesthood – “thus this holy calling being prepared from the foundation of the world for such as would not harden their hearts, being in and through the atonement of the Only Begotten Son … Therefore they were called after this holy order, and were sanctified, and their garments were washed white through the blood of the Lamb.” (Alma 13:5 and 11). In addition, Enoch taught that “by the water ye keep the commandment; by the Spirit ye are justified, and by the blood ye are sanctified” (Moses 6:60). A little later in Moses 6, he went on to explain how Adam went through all three of those steps dealing with water, spirit and then blood:

64) And it came to pass, when the Lord had spoken with Adam, our father, that Adam cried unto the Lord, and he was caught away by the Spirit of the Lord, and was carried down into the water, and was laid under the water, and was brought forth out of the water.

[Adam kept the commandment “by the water” when he was baptized]

65) And thus he was baptized, and the Spirit of God descended upon him, and thus he was born of the Spirit, and became quickened in the inner man.
66) And he heard a voice out of heaven, saying: Thou art baptized with fire, and with the Holy Ghost. This is the record of the Father, and the Son, from henceforth and forever;

[Adam was justified “by the Spirit” when “the Spirit of God descended upon him”]

67) And thou art after the order of him who was without beginning of days or end of years, from all eternity to all eternity.
68) Behold, thou art one in me, a son of God; and thus may all become my sons. Amen. (Moses 6:64-68)

[Adam was sanctified “by the blood” when he was ordained after the Order of God, which is the priesthood, and became a “son of God”]

Understanding the suffering that Christ endured during the atoning sacrifice will help us understand the power behind the priesthood. We will look at men in the scriptures who suffered as a type of Christ’s suffering and at other scriptures that explain what his suffering entailed.

The scriptures tell us that Christ “suffereth the pains of all men, yea, the pains of every living creature, both men, women, and children, who belong to the family of Adam.” (2 Nephi 9:21). They explain further that “he shall suffer temptations, and pain of body, hunger, thirst, and fatigue, even more than man can suffer, except it be unto death” (Mosiah 3:7). Although Christ suffered more than any man can suffer, I have wondered what passage or passages in the scriptures describe the greatest pain suffered by anyone other than Christ. Understanding that would give some insight into the suffering of Christ. I have found that the suffering that Alma the Younger describes is the greatest pain and suffering that anyone other than Christ has experienced recorded in the scriptures. After “seeking to destroy the church of God” (Alma 36:6), an angel appeared to him and told him to stop. He describes his subsequent suffering in Alma 36:

12) But I was racked with eternal torment, for my soul was harrowed up to the greatest degree and racked with all my sins.
13) Yea, I did remember all my sins and iniquities, for which I was tormented with the pains of hell; yea, I saw that I had rebelled against my God, and that I had not kept his holy commandments.
14) Yea, and I had murdered many of his children, or rather led them away unto destruction; yea, and in fine so great had been my iniquities, that the very thought of coming into the presence of my God did rack my soul with inexpressible horror.
15) Oh, thought I, that I could be banished and become extinct both soul and body, that I might not be brought to stand in the presence of my God, to be judged of my deeds.
16) And now, for three days and for three nights was I racked, even with the pains of a damned soul.
17) And it came to pass that as I was thus racked with torment, while I was harrowed up by the memory of my many sins, behold, I remembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world.
18) Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death.
21) Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. … (Alma 36:12-21)

Alma describes his suffering with phrases such as racked with eternal torment, harrowed to the greatest degree, tormented with the pains of hell, inexpressible horror (at the thought of coming into the presence of God), gall of bitterness, encircled by the everlasting chains of death, and nothing so exquisite and bitter. In Mosiah 27:29 we also learn that his suffering included the bonds of iniquity and the darkest abyss. In addition, he essentially says that pain was so great that he wanted to have his mind, consciousness, spirit, intelligence, identity, body and soul annihilated or extinct, rather than to go into the presence of God. He says that he was in this state for three days and three nights, which is interesting because of what Jesus said here – “For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.” (Matthew 12:40). The three days and three nights of pain link Alma’s suffering to Christ’s time in the spirit world after his suffering in Gethsemane and on the cross. Therefore, I believe that Alma’s suffering was a type of Christ’s suffering.

We already understand that Christ suffered the pain of all men, which would include the pain that Alma suffered. We also understand that if man suffered what Christ did, he would have physically died from it and possibly even had his spirit disintegrated. What is it that Christ suffered that was beyond what Alma suffered? Alma tells us that the most painful part of his suffering was due to the thought of coming into the presence of God while in his sins, but he didn’t have to experience that. It seems that what Alma feared to experience but didn’t and what Christ actually did experience was being brought into the presence of God for final judgment. Alma described the experience of going into the final judgment unprepared:

12) And Amulek hath spoken plainly concerning death, and being raised from this mortality to a state of immortality, and being brought before the bar of God, to be judged according to our works.
13) Then if our hearts have been hardened, yea, if we have hardened our hearts against the word, insomuch that it has not been found in us, then will our state be awful, for then we shall be condemned.
14) For our words will condemn us, yea, all our works will condemn us; we shall not be found spotless; and our thoughts will also condemn us; and in this awful state we shall not dare to look up to our God; and we would fain be glad if we could command the rocks and the mountains to fall upon us to hide us from his presence.
15) But this cannot be; we must come forth and stand before him in his glory, and in his power, and in his might, majesty, and dominion, and acknowledge to our everlasting shame that all his judgments are just; that he is just in all his works, and that he is merciful unto the children of men, and that he has all power to save every man that believeth on his name and bringeth forth fruit meet for repentance.
16) And now behold, I say unto you then cometh a death, even a second death, which is a spiritual death; then is a time that whosoever dieth in his sins, as to a temporal death, shall also die a spiritual death; yea, he shall die as to things pertaining unto righteousness.
17) Then is the time when their torments shall be as a lake of fire and brimstone, whose flame ascendeth up forever and ever; and then is the time that they shall be chained down to an everlasting destruction, according to the power and captivity of Satan, he having subjected them according to his will.
18) Then, I say unto you, they shall be as though there had been no redemption made; for they cannot be redeemed according to God’s justice; and they cannot die, seeing there is no more corruption. (Alma 12:12-18)

Christ describes the suffering of the wicked after they are resurrected and brought to final judgment in this revelation to Joseph Smith found in Doctrine and Covenants 19:

15) Therefore I command you to repent—repent, lest I smite you by the rod of my mouth, and by my wrath, and by my anger, and your sufferings be sore—how sore you know not, how exquisite you know not, yea, how hard to bear you know not.
16) For behold, I, God, have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent;
17) But if they would not repent they must suffer even as I;
18) Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink—
19) Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished my preparations unto the children of men. (D&C 19:15-19)

In the next verse, Christ explains the “least degree” of suffering that men can experience – “Wherefore, I command you again to repent, lest I humble you with my almighty power; and that you confess your sins, lest you suffer these punishments of which I have spoken, of which in the smallest, yea, even in the least degree you have tasted at the time I withdrew my Spirit.” (D&C 19:20). If that is the smallest or least degree of suffering, then keep in mind that Alma experienced being “harrowed up to the greatest degree and racked with all my sins.” (Alma 36:12).

The difference between Christ suffering the final judgment of the unrepentant and the wicked suffering the final judgment is that Christ suffered it while still mortal and vulnerable to physical death, but the wicked will suffer it after becoming immortal. Christ seems to link the suffering that he experienced to actually entering into God’s presence when he was unclean while bearing our sins – “And no unclean thing can enter into his kingdom; therefore nothing entereth into his rest save it be those who have washed their garments in my blood, because of their faith, and the repentance of all their sins, and their faithfulness unto the end.” (3 Nephi 27:19). He can wash us in his blood so that we may enter into God’s kingdom because he suffered the pain of entering into God’s kingdom as an unclean being and subsequently recovered and healed from it on our behalf.
 
Alma found relief from his suffering after he “cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me” (Alma 36:18) and “the Lord in mercy hath seen fit to snatch me out of an everlasting burning” (Mosiah 27:28). However, for Christ “there was none to help; and I wondered that there was none to uphold: therefore mine own arm brought salvation unto me; and my fury, it upheld me.” (Isaiah 63:5).

No comments:

Post a Comment